Tuesday, October 28, 2008

All the World's a Stage, But the Play is Badly Cast

Friends are wonderful people. I have no idea what I'd do without them. It doesn't take much to be my friend but it takes a lot to gain my trust. That's why it seriously irritates me when I find that my judgment of character has been proven wrong.
The role of villain in disguise as a friend is as old as time. Unfortunately it has repeated itself many times throughout history in just about every life of every human being. Heck, even Jesus had to deal with this infuriating situation. But it never gets old, does it? Most times you don't even see it coming. It hits you like a freight train and leaves you feeling humiliated, discouraged and vulnerable.
Recently I've experienced the feelings that come with such emotional damage. A person, who I considered to be a good friend of mine, saw fit to spread a ridiculous lie about my personal life and did so in the presence of a member of my family. I have no idea how many people she may have told or who believes it. Now I feel deeply hurt and paranoid. How can you trust someone who so readily offered up false information about you? How could you ever feel comfortable with a person like that?
Obviously, I'm more than somewhat perturbed. I'll forgive the person in question but what about my reputation? I take pride in being myself and being a good person in general, but how can I possibly fix what many are quick to believe and react to? I guess I'm glad that I have real friends and people who actually care about me more than their selfish wants. Thank God for them.

No comments:

Search This Blog