Friday, November 20, 2009

Contemplating Faces

Lately I've been working on my portrait skills. One thing I've noticed is that the easiest faces to recreate are the either the least interesting or the most familiar. Therefore I've made it a personal rule not to draw uninteresting faces and just focus on making the face I'm working with more familiar (I'm hoping that makes sense). One of the first portraits I ever did was of myself. Becoming more familiar with my own face laid the foundation for studying others. I've noticed that my face isn't pretty in a conventional way: rounded structure, large eyes, full lips, slightly upturned nose. It's more whimsical than "hot" and I like it.
I have two subjects that I've been really excited about. One is a very dear friend of mine and the other is her brother. What I like about their features is that they are obviously related, I've never seen siblings look so much like each other, but at the same time they're completely different. So trying to capture the similarities enough to make them look related but keeping the characteristics that make them so definitely unique is difficult.
My friend's face is something of an oval with a tapered chin. She has large, blue eyes framed with well arched brows and a straight sort of British looking nose. Now what I like best about her face is the hardest to draw lol. Her smile is exquisite. Big and sunshiny! Just as a smile should be :) She's kind of an elfish sort. I like it.
Now her brother has the same ovalish face but with more angles (well that's cause he's a boy). His mouth is very serious looking but it makes a very nice smile (I suppose one could say it's dashing?). The nose is the same as his sister's. Now the eyes are where I get stuck. They're just as expressive as my friend's but more mischievous looking. That look of being up to something gets me every time. But it makes me smile when I get it right!
Now here's your challenge, look in a mirror and find the things you like most about your face and leave a comment below!!! :D

No comments:

Search This Blog